Saturday, July 10, 2010

There will be honey!

Quick update from a week ago -- I went through both hives frame by frame (skipping a few as I found everything I was looking for). Both hives were moving along slowly, both queens were still laying and Jo was still not moving much out of the second box.

I added another box of foundation to both hives bringing Meg up to six and Jo up to four.

Yesterday I look again, this time at a couple frames per box and was very happy with the bees' progress! Meg has 3 boxes 90+% full of curing nectar and capped honey and is working hard on a forth! Jo has almost finished drawing out three full boxes and while there's not nearly as much honey in Jo, there's a decent amount building up on the edges of the brood area.

Later this weekend, I plan to add a seventh (!) medium super to Meg so there's no chance she runs out of room, and I'll swap around a few frames in Jo to try to encourage her to start working on the so-far-untouched fourth box.

At this rate, I'm looking forward to 50-100 pounds of harvested honey depending on the honey flow and how much I can get the bees to backfill the brood boxes in August. I'll probably store some capped honey to give me some more feeding options if they don't collect enough in the early winter and to give me feeding options next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment