Monday, July 18, 2011

I visited the Lair today to deliver one more super to replace the one I'd transfered to the super-productive hive.  The bees were already "bearding" at 7:00 this morning as the high heat index of 85 starts creeping up to a high of 118.  It's hard to cure honey or even evaporate water to cool the hive when it's so incredibly hot and humid.  There won't be much nectar collection today as the bees and flowers both just try to wait out the heat.
 
 
 
The two outer hives were about 80% finished with their 4th box, and the center hive was drawing out about 30-50% of their 6th box, although as I was in a hurry and the bees were cranky on such a hot and humid morning, I just peered in through the top instead of examining any frames more closely.  When the heat subsides a bit, I'll need to spend some serious time on a full inspection in the next couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment