Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Some awesome temperature logging projects!


I found some great temperature logging projects this week -- one linked on hackaday.com, (http://www.maxjusticz.com/honey-bee-tracking-box/ ) and another linked in the comments of the first (http://mietz.imkerforum.de/the_idea.html ).  This is great stuff -- the first is incredibly finished with a waterproof seal and a solar panel directly on top of the enclosure while the second has an incredible 88 sensors spread out over 11 frames of a single-box observation hive!  Here's the incredible video of temperature within the hive:



This is incredible data to see as it suggests that the lower resolution 9 points between each box I'd planned is enough to catch most of what's going on in a bee hive.  Sure, I might miss the occasional deviation, but if the bees reliably cluster around the brood nest as they seem to in inspections and as evidenced here, adding 10x more sensors is probably not going to give me much more information.

Heck, even 9 sensors per box is probably way too much information, but I'm hoping to track the hive cluster over winter next winter (the winter after next summer) and I'm pretty sure one sensor per box won't be enough.

Anyway, great stuff makes me want to get mine working even more!  I suppose that means I hurry up and draw a final schematic so I can solder down all the components without making time-consuming mistakes!

1 comment:

  1. Hello There; I have a unique opportunity to post. My Grandparents are selling this profitable BeeKeeping Business in Southern Saskatchewan. Please review this add or pass it on to anyone interested in their own piece of serenity. http://triplerhoneyranch.webs.com/ Turn-Key Operation.
    Thanks very much for your time.

    ReplyDelete